Thursday, June 14, 2012

Through the Bay of Quinte
(spoken into a microphone while I drive)

I wonder
sometimes
where silence goes
does it drive through us like a sorrowed song?
does it lean into the shadows?
or does it come into you
during those nights

those nights ...
those nights ...

tiny raindrops fall softly on your rose-burnt back

across the valley
you see an open space
a lonesome tree
making some kind of statement
and then
to the hum-beat of the car ...
and the white lines on the road ...
to the "turn to a curve to the left" -- the fork
you follow, you follow because you're told to --
you follow because everybody is following this one road to the end of the Earth

if there was an end
if there is an end

And all these masses of people gaggling through the hum-drum!

That man at the bar he told me his life story.  His eyes soft brown.
His voice like a tainted song
He told me his country had betrayed him

A crow lands and flies across a Midland-truck driving East ...

Canada is where I need to be because there is no past, there's no history, no story
People come here to live and work, and that's great.


The car ploughs along the pavement


I was tortured in my country
and that is a tragic story
that story is what I cannot tell


I sat there, while the sounds of clinking coffee cups and people drank each others laughter.

I leaned in towards him at the bar my voice caught in silence

God! for Fuck's Sake I am so naive.  I don't know an inch of what it is like to be afraid that you really might not make it tomorrow, that you might not survive the night, that you might not see the next day, that you might not see the face of the people you call home.

Passing Lake Road. Still the clouds billow and shake.  If clouds could shake.
and all these people driving on the 401
The highway of my childhood
The highway that cuts through me like a vein
The fast road we used to call it

When will we get to the fast road?


We giggle and place our little feet on the window pane.

Where's the slow road?
The road where you take time to think
The road where you take time to stop
and listen
  ...

No comments:

Post a Comment